Fred's Travels in Latin America

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Postcard from San Jose Costa Rica

Hello the few on my special privileged characters list,

This damned keyboard is as bad as the ones I encountered in Turkey. Neither the colon or question mark work! thank goodness I’ve still got the exclamation mark and apostrophe!

It is raining outside so I ducked into this cyber cafe close to the KFC store where I stopped for a Pepsi. It is not really raining, more of a steady drizzle, but enough to get soaked on the long walk back to the hotel. Just looked out and see the drizzle has stopped, so I too can stop filling time with this keyboard dance. I mainly wanted to tell a few people that I made it to San Jose and have found a good value hotel near the city center. I’ll hang out here for a few days while checking out the buses north. The Centro Colon Hotel is quite good for fifty bucks... plus an outrageous 16% task. With all the extras I pay about $67 per night. The place has colorful and cheap restaurants, an excellent view of the central park and is near several banks with ATM machines... none of which will accept my new Citigold bank card! Getting local Colones at a bank is an hour enterprise. The exchange rate has been moving in our favor and now sits at about 478 per dollar.

Most of the color I remember from my previous visit to the city ten years ago is gone, replaced by the inner city decay one sees in many capital cities around the world. I am hoping some of the old traditional ways will have been retained or recreated as I move away from the capital heading north into Nicaragua.


Better take advantage of the lull in the rain and dash back to the hotel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home